A common support request we receive for our themes is how to show sub-collections on a page. Since Shopify doesn't officially support sub-collections, they created this support article, which describes how to use navigation menus and a custom page template to show a subset of collections.
While following this support article works properly with our themes from a functional perspective, it is written for Shopify's own free themes. They use a different codebase than ours, so the resulting page displays without proper formatting.
In ShowTime 6.0+ and Galleria, we've included a page template with the default theme called page.list-collections that essentially completes this tutorial for you. Here's how to use it.
- From your Shopify admin, go to Online Store > Pages
- Click Add page
- In the page editor, enter a title for the page in the text box provided. Note that you must use the same title for the menu that you'll create in the upcoming steps
- Assign your new template to the page by selecting page.list-collections from the Template suffix drop-down menu in the Template section:
- Click Save.
Create the menu that controls which collections are displayed
- From your Shopify admin, go to Online Store > Navigation
- Click the Add menu button
- Give your menu the same Title as the title that you gave the page that will feature your collections. For example, if the page you created has the title Living Room, then you will give your menu the title Living Room
- Add links to your menu for each collection you want to feature by clicking Add menu item. Choose collections from your store by clicking on Collections in the drop-down menu for the Link text box. It is important to link to your collections in this way, instead of adding a URL to the text box:
- Click Save menu
Once you've finished these steps and applied the page.list-collections template to one of your pages, you will see a nicely formatted grid of collections along with their featured images (if one is specified) on this page.