A common support request we receive for our themes is how to show sub-collections on a page. Since Shopify doesn't officially support sub-collections, they created this support article, which describes how to use navigation menus and a custom page template to show a subset of collections.
While following this support article works properly with our themes from a functional perspective, it is written for Shopify's own free themes. They use a different codebase than ours, so the resulting page displays without proper formatting.
In ShowTime 6.0+ and Galleria, we've included a page template with the default theme called page.list-collections that essentially completes this tutorial for you. Here's how to use it.
- From your Shopify admin, go to Online Store > Pages
- Click Add page
- In the page editor, enter a title for the page in the text box provided. Note that you must use the same title for the menu that you'll create in the upcoming steps
- Assign your new template to the page by selecting page.list-collections from the Template suffix drop-down menu in the Template section:
- Click Save.
From here, the instructions vary a bit depending on which theme you're using. We're working on standardizing this for both themes and this will be done shortly. In the meantime, instructions for each theme are below.
Create the menu that controls which collections are displayed
- From your Shopify admin, go to Online Store > Navigation
- Click the Add menu button
- Give your menu the same Title as the title that you gave the page that will feature your collections. For example, if the page you created has the title Living Room, then you will give your menu the title Living Room
- Add links to your menu for each collection you want to feature by clicking Add menu item. Choose collections from your store by clicking on Collections in the drop-down menu for the Link text box. It is important to link to your collections in this way, instead of adding a URL to the text box:
- Click Save menu
Once you've finished these steps and applied the page.list-collections template to one of your pages, you will see a nicely formatted grid of collections along with their featured images (if one is specified) on this page.
In Galleria, instead of creating a menu to control which collections appear, you can choose the collections you want to feature individually in the settings. To access these settings, please follow these steps:
- From your Shopify admin, go to Online Store > Themes and locate your published theme
- Click the Customize button to launch the theme settings browser
- In the drop-down menu near the top, choose the name of the page you created from the list. This should be the page where the page.list-collections template is applied.
- The settings on the left side will change, and you should see a box to edit your List Collections Page settings. Click this to view the settings.
- There are many display settings to play with here, and you can choose which collections to feature individually in the Content section near the bottom.
- Once you've added all your collections, be sure to click the Save button in the upper-right corner to save your changes. That should do it!